Saturday, July 17, 2010

Kitchen Update

I know you have been wondering why I have been completely silent about the kitchen remodel but there has been nothing to report. We have been waiting on the counter top.  Our remodel has been done with the help and expertise of our across-the-alley neighbor. He is a very busy contractor and has been kind enough to fit us into his work schedule. Two weeks ago he left for Colorado Springs to re-shingle his sister's roof and the plan was for him to head up to Denver on his way home to pick up the new counter top. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it,  he discovered that whoever built the roof on his sister's house used non-code plywood that was so thin it made the roof unsafe to walk on.What started out as a few days of laying new shingles turned into a whole roof rebuild.

We have been busy doing other things while waiting on the counter top including painting the stucco around the base of the house twice. The first time we painted it the color turned out yellow when it was supposed to be a kind of sand color. The second time we painted I switched to a green color that went well with the forest green color of the house trim and again it did not come out the way we expected.  Instead of the light grass green color shown on the paint chip we got the same florescent lime green color now used on school crossing signs. Why aren't paint chip samples true to the actual color? When I looked at them I made sure to take them outside to see them in sunlight but what was on the chip still did not match what ended up on the walls.  Since the days have been so hot we are going to wait until the end of Summer before we try painting again. I've reached the point were I don't give a damn how it looks.

Not only have we painted the house two times I have discovered the joy of spray paints. I have been using an old microwave stand to set my stereo and CD player on and bought two small wooden stools for my speakers but I've never liked how the stools looked since they are  totally different  from the microwave stand. This is were the magic of spray paint comes in. I painted the microwave stand and the tops of the wooden stools the same color and, "Voila!," they now look as if they belong together. I liked the way that project turned out and the ease of the process so much I decided to paint an old wooden end table/lamp a new color too. That turned out even better.  I've looked around the house trying to find something else to spray paint and have decided my next project will be the two Adirondack style chairs on my front porch. I just need a color that will go well with the florescent lime green stucco.

No comments: