Monday, February 13, 2017

I Am Learning To Sew- Project 36

My next project was going to be a slipcover for one of my living room chairs but I realized I would also have to replace the seat cushion. When I cut it open I found this down-filled cushion inside. Since I had to wait for the new foam cushion I ordered to be delivered, I decided to turn the old down-filled cushion into a dog bed.

Dog bed before.



I also decided that making this dog bed would give me practice making and sewing welting. I first learned how to make continuous bias tape, then how to sew a length of cord inside the tape to make the welting, and finally how to sew the welting between the top and sides of the cushion. The whole project went smoother than I expected.


Dog bed finished.

2 comments:

Blue Witch said...

A very impressive dog bed!

Interestingly what you call 'welting' we call 'piping'.

la peregrina said...

Thank you. :)

(We call it piping too when it is not on furniture.