Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Sewing Books

I've collected quite a few older sewing books.  Mary Brooks Picken, "America's Foremost Authority on Sewing and Dressmaking," wrote 96 books covering sewing, needlework, and the textile arts. I own two sewing books written by her including:

MODERN DRESSMAKING MADE EASY by Mary Brooks Picken, copyright 1949, Funk & Wagnalls Company, New York.





Not only does MODERN DRESSMAKING MADE EASY teach you how to sew, it also teaches you, as the chapter heading describes it, Your Physical Self- "how to develop poise; how to walk, stand, sit."
But it seems you can only do these things while naked and wearing high-heels.




The back of the book jacket for Modern DRESSMAKING Made Easy with ad for another book by  Mary Brooks Picken, The Fashion Dictionary.

2 comments:

Quimera said...


Hi, Peregrina. I would like to know what pattern making method this book teaches, if draping method, flat pattern method or drafting method. (direct measurements on the person or sewing mannequin and then draw on paper. This method suits me the most because it is the one I use until now). I've made simple patterns by myself (blouses, skirts), but I wish I had good books so I can learn more. I have heard good comments from this author, but I would like to know what method she uses.
I know it's pretty difficult, but I wish I could find and buy this book sometime. I can not buy everything I want, since shipments to my country are somewhat expensive and with the crisis of covid19 that may become more expensive for a while. Your opinion or any comment´would help me a lot. Greetings from Chile. Sara.

la peregrina said...

Hello, Sara. I've just discovered you comment. This book is actually more of an encyclopedia of sewing than a how to sew book. It seems to be aimed at young women in what would have been called home education classes back then and gives an overview of sewing techniques and terms and how to use patterns. The pattens section is short so I'm not sure it the book would be helpful to you. I do enjoy the illustrations in the book. It one of the reasons why I bought it. Good luck in your quest to find the right book for you.