Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Camino Interlude

Here are two of the pictures that I took on my walk. Because I am not sure where they belong I have put them here. I do know they were taken in two different towns between Estella and Logrono. This first picture was taken in a small village where T and I stopped for a snack. It gives you an idea of what these villages are like.



When I saw this mural on the side of a building in this small town I was stunned. It was a visual depiction of the dreamlike quality of my walk. In the lower left hand corner are two pilgrims walking with their backpacks on. In front of them the Camino drifts up into the sky. The Camino as the yellow brick road in The Wizard of Oz. Above the water fountain, in the distance, is the city of Santiago.

If the Camino is the yellow brick road, is Santiago the Emerald City? If Santiago is the Emerald City, am I one of the characters in the book trying to reach it? If I am a character in the book, which character am I? The Cowardly Lion looking for courage? The Tin Woodsman hoping for a heart? The Scarecrow wanting a brain? Or Dorothy trying to find her way back home?


No comments: