Sunday, August 31, 2003

I started this blog in December of 2002 and now, almost nine months later, I have reached the end of my story. At first I was only going to write about my walk but then I realized what has happened since then was, in some way, part of the story too. When I started writing this I used the pseudonym La Peregrina as a way to distance myself from what I was writing. I was afraid that what I was relating would sound crazy and unbelievable. Since I questioned the reality of it myself, I was fearful that other people would question it also. That is why I did not put an image of the Compostela I received at the end of my walk in this blog; my name is on it. Now I don't mind if anyone knows my name because I realize it does not matter if anyone believes me; the fact that someone might not does not change the truth.



Now I guess I am at the part where I sum up what I learned from all of this. So, here goes- What have I learned? I have no idea, unless it is hidden somewhere in what I wrote on August 26th:

Since birth I have been on a spiritual journey. In the beginning, the path I walk had numerous trails branching out from it and I veered off to walk many of them. Most meandered along not far from the path and then turned back to meet the path again. Some I followed lead nowhere and then disappeared. After floundering in fear, lost and alone, a gentle voice in my subconscious would guide me to one of the trails back toward the path or even directly to the path itself.

As I got older there seemed to be fewer trails that lead away from the path. I'm not sure if the trails are gone or if I just no longer see them. I find that sometimes when I think I am walking on the path I am really walking a trail that parallels it. Unlike the other trails I must make a conscious effort to return to the path. Now as I walk I wonder, did I pick the spiritual path or did it pick me?


Now, as I read those paragraphs, I see it does not matter whether I picked the path or it picked me. What matters is the journey and I certainly have been on quite a journey these last couple of years. It's time to take one of those side trails that lead to a quiet shady spot and sit down and rest for a spell.
Take care.
Colleen

No comments: