Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Dreams

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
-Eleanor Roosevelt


I was walking up a dirt road out in the middle of the open plain. To the left of me and parallel with the road was a two tier wooden fence. All around me were endless fields of knee-high yellow grass waving in the gentle breeze. The sky was cloudless with a bright hot sun but I was cool as I walked along. I was blinded by the sunlight for a second and then noticed I was no longer walking on the road but in the ditch beside it. I was surprised because I had not noticed the ditch before. I looked down and saw that the ditch was filled with hundreds and hundreds of wiggling pale-green baby snakes and that I was standing ankle deep in them. I stood still worried that I would accidentally step on one of them. As I looked at them I was filled with an overwhelming sense of wonder and joy. I woke up feeling relaxed and at peace.

No comments: