Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Jukebox Jury

Well, I am done downloading songs into my MP3 player. I am embarrassed to report that I have 937 songs in my portable jukebox. Yes, 937 tunes and I must admit that I did not download every track on each CD that I copied. It was easier that I thought it would be and I only had one CD that would not transfer. I e-mailed Rio and they send me suggestions on how to fix the problem.

One of the things the player does is separated songs into different categories called Genre. I have 51 different categories under Genre. You can't see me but I am shaking my head in disgust at this. Some of the more creative categories are; Alternative Country, Baroque, Blues Rock, Caribbean, Cool/West Coast Jazz, Fussion, General Alternative, General Unclassifiable (My favorite one, they couldn't come up with one more classification?), Indian subcontinent, and Swing Revival.

There are 8 other general categories besides the two listed above, each with the word General in front of it; Blues, Celtic, Classical, Country, Folk, Hip Hop, Holiday, Jazz, New Age, Pop, R&B, Reggae, Rock, and Soundtrack.

The remaining categories are: Accoustic Pop, Big Band Swing, Christmas, Classic Rock, Disco, Film Soundtrack, Folk-Rock, French, Funk, Hard Rock, Jazz, Jazz Vocals, Latin Pop, Latin Rock, Motown, New Wave, Pop Vocals, Progressive Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Ragtime, Rock & Roll, Rockabilly, Soft Rock, Soul, Traditional Country, and Zydeco/Cajun.

When I get back from Amsterdam I am going to drop as many categories as I can and move the songs listed into other categories. I guess the easiest thing to do is use the General categories but I am not sure if that is the way to go, I kind of like that Cool/West Coast Jazz category. If it was your MP3 player, which classifications would you keep and which would you drop? Or would you combined some like the Zydeco/Cajun category?

No comments: