Friday, February 11, 2005

Am I There Yet?

The whole point of being alive is to evolve into the complete person you were intended to be.
-Oprah Winfrey

I want to thank my sisters and Blue Witch for the supportive messages they left in the comment box of my New Year's Resolution post. It was very generous of you. But I do think I owe some of you an apology. I have been writing about mundane, unremarkable things for the last four or five months and the other day I feel I kind of sucker punched you. That was not my intention. I do not write to show other people how horrid my childhood was because, all in all, it could have been worse. There were some intense, scary moments and those are the memories that get burned into your psyche. Some are so intense they get locked inside you only to emerge again when you talk or write about them. At least that is the way it is for me.

I find that by looking back and writing about my life I am figuring out the way I look at life in general. Figuring out how I perceive life helps me to evolve into the person I want to be. So, what have I learned so far?

1. That I am loved. I somehow felt this even before I was born. I think that is why I have always known my parents loved me even if they did a bad job of showing it by their actions or words.

2. That children are hostages to their parents lives. In that I mean they have no control over their own lives and there is nothing they can do about it.

3. That once you are out of your parent's house you are responsible for your own life. How it goes from that point on is up to you.

4. That when my parents woke-up each morning their first thought wasn't, "Humm, how can I f++k-up my kids today?"

5. That I don't have to forgive my parents for the things they did or didn't do. All I have to do is accept the fact that what happened did happen and that I can't change it.

6. That no one in the world is better than me. Other people may have fame, money, talent, brains, looks, or power. None of that makes them any better than me.

7. That we are all here to learn from each other. We do this each time we share our stories or opinions. This is what I like best about being a member of Blogland.

No comments: