Friday, February 25, 2005

PSA (Public Service Announcement)

Yesterday I had a non-cancerous small growth, what my PA called a tumor, removed from my upper back near the spine. This is the third non-cancerous growth I have had frozen off my body. Although it is something I would rather not have it is also something I am glad can be removed quickly and with little pain. I never was one who sunbathed that much when I was younger because I didn't have the patience for it. I think I can count the number of times I did on one hand. I did grow-up in a town that is one mile above sea level and spent a lot of time outdoors as a child and that may have contributed to this. I don't really know and so it really doesn't matter.

I am writing about this because skin cancer is such an easy thing to treat and people still die from it. A friend of my mother died from skin cancer when he tried to treat it with an over-the-counter cream and waited too long to see a doctor. I remember seeing the sore on his face and knowing, even though I was only fourteen, that something was seriously wrong. He died after the cancer spread to his brain.

So if you find something on your body that wasn't there before go see a doctor. If it is pre-cancerous or cancer you can have it removed right there in the doctor's office. The doctor can either cut it off or freeze it off. I chose to have mine removed by having it frozen off because I figured it would be quicker. Don't let the doctor tell you it doesn't hurt or you will only feel a sight stinging sensation because that's a lie. What it feels like is touching your finger to a just blown-out match head. It burns but is bearable.

If you would like more information about skin cancer you can go here.
*

No comments: