Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Dream Weaver

I believe you can get me through the night
Ooh dream weaver
I believe we can reach the morning light

-Dream Weaver by Gary Wright


In the dream I was in a grocery store. I had a cart and I was standing at the head of a line waiting for the cashier at the counter to finish with the customer in front of me. I noticed a man standing in another line intently watching what was happening at my check-out counter and although he was not doing anything he was making me very nervous. When I looked back at my cashier the customer was no longer there and the cashier was busy doing something I could not see. The man I felt uneasy about kept looking over at the cashier and I started worrying that he would try to cut in front of me.

I looked back at my cashier wondering why she did not motion me forward when she looked up and waved her fingers in a "come forward" gesture. I started to push my cart forward but the man in the other line quickly pushed his cart in front of me and got to the counter first. I started to tell him he could not do that when he reached inside his shirt and pulled out a large handgun and shot me eight times in the chest. I fell backward to the floor greatly shocked by what had happened and thinking, "He's just killed me."

I felt a deep sadness about the fact that my life was ending because it was my own stupid fault. I knew there was something dangerous about the man and I berated myself for saying anything to him. As I lie there grieving the loss of my life I put my hand to my heart and touched something hard. I reached under my shirt and realized I was wearing a bulletproof vest. I was not really injured. Then I woke up.


When I told my husband this dream he said, "I know where this dream came from, Doc's story about the bear."
That's right, Doc told us about some friends of his who went hunting for grizzly bears up in Alaska. Well, they found one and it took eight gunshots to the chest before that bear dropped dead about six feet in front of them.

That story may have triggered (no pun intended) my dream but what does the fact that I had a bulletproof vest on mean and why did I not know I was wearing it?

No comments: