Saturday, April 29, 2006

Coca-Cola BlaK



I tried the new Coca-Cola BlaK today. First, let me tell you how Consumer Reports described it:

"It's Coke with coffee, double the caffeine, and half the calories"

I should have read that sentence before I tried it myself. That "half the calories" statement should be setting off alarms inside your head.
(Warning! Warning! Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!)
After reading that you should be asking yourself how is that possible? It is possible because Coca-Cola BlaK contains aspartame and acesulfame potassium- both being artificial sweeteners. Something I did not find out until after I drank the whole bottle. Aspartame is a migraine trigger for me so you can understand why my reaction to that one little word was, "Holy s**t!"

I know what you're thinking, "Well, besides that, how was it?"

Consumer Reports' taste test compared the US version of BlaK to the French version The French version has more coffee and is made with real sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Both things change the taste. The results:

Bottom line: If you like the idea of a hint of coffee with your Coke, you might give this a try. But if you're looking for more coffee with your cola, you'll be disappointed with Coke BlaK--unless you buy it in France.

Myself. I hated it. It was flat and tasted too much like coffee and not enough like Coke. I think Coca-Cola has created the New Coke for the 21st century. Like New Coke I don't think it will appeal to either Coke drinkers or non-Coke drinkers. It sure as hell did not appeal to me.

No comments: