Tuesday, October 02, 2007

I'm So Tired, My Mind Is On The Blink

-John Lennon

For the past week the wind has been blowing and I am tired of it. I'm tired of the wind pushing me around when I go outside. I'm tired of the blowing dirt that gets into my hair, eyes, ears, nose, and lungs. I'm tired of the dirt that seeps into the house and then leaves a film of dust on everything. I am getting a tiny taste of what it was like in the 1930's when the dust storms hit.

I'm tired of the sound of the windows rattling each time a gust hits the house. I'm tired of the sound of the awning cloth snapping and popping. I'm tired of the sound of wind roaring in my ears. Since fall harvest has just been completed the roar of the wind is in competition with the roar of the grain elevator fans making both sounds twice as annoying.

But there was one good day. Last Wednesday it was calm when I took Duke out for his morning run. We went up the hill road north of town. I left my house while the sun was still hiding behind the earth and a full moon hovered low in the western sky. By the time I reached the top of the hill the sun was rising in the east and the moon setting in the west. I stood in the middle of the road facing north. The sky was a dome of pure china blue empty of everything except the sun and moon. I stood there for a moment gazing up and then turned my head to the east. I saw a big ball of burning yellow sitting right on the horizon. I then turned my head to the west and saw a huge cold white disc marked with blue smears sitting on that horizon. A unity of opposites.

I have never seen the sun rise and the moon set at the same time before and this sight caused a feeling of peacefulness to settle over me. Sun and moon, day and night, life and death, yin and yang. God’s in his heaven—All’s right with the world.

No comments: