Friday, May 16, 2008

A Job Half Done Is A Job Not Done At All

I went to Starbucks three time while I was in Denver. What can I say, I like their hot chocolate. Anyway, on one visit I had to use the restroom. While I was washing my hands I noticed that the company had put a sign on the paper towel dispenser. Written across the top of the sign were the words EMPLOYEES MUST WASH THEIR HANDS and underneath those words were little cartoons showing them how to do so. The first cartoon showed a pair of hands under the sink faucet with the words WASH HANDS written under it. The next cartoon showed a pair of hands under an electric hand dryer with the words DRY HANDS under it. The final cartoon showed a hand holding a paper towel while turning off the faucet handle with the words USE PAPER TOWEL TO TURN OFF WATER underneath.

Now, I find this all commendable on the part of Starbucks. Hygiene seems to be very important to them as that extra step of turning off the faucet with a paper towel shows. At the same time I must point out that they did not have a cartoon showing the hands using a paper towel to open the door as they left the restroom. Not doing that kind of defeats the purpose of hand washing, doesn't it?

No comments: