Friday, August 01, 2008

Hot Town

Back of my neck getting dirty and gritty
-Lyric from Summer In The City by The Lovin' Spoonful

All up and down the western plains the temperature is forecast to reach the low hundreds for the next four days. Add that to higher humidity readings than normal and you have a recipe for misery. This morning I mowed the lawn and by the end I was hot, sticky, and dripping. The temperature was 85F with the humidity at 62%, which translated to a heat index reading of 90F/32C.

I am sure some of you are sneering at me for complaining about the humidity being "only" 62% but remember I grew up in Colorado (see number 6 on You're From Colorado If list). I am used to practically no humidity. When I went running for the first time after my husband and I moved to Tampa, Florida I started perspiring profusely and felt very weak. I turned around and returned to our apartment convinced that I was ill and had just had a fever I did not know about break. When I told my husband this he started laughing (he had lived in Texas for four years) and then explained how humidity, perspiration, and evaporation worked. I never did get used to the feeling of my running clothes hanging wet and sticky on me during a run the entire time I was down there.

Anyway, like I said it is going to be miserable for the next several days and the thought of it makes me want to spend each day just lying in front of the a/c with a pitcher of ice cold lemonade and a stack of books ignoring the heat, humidity, and the outside world. To accomplish that goal I am also going to take a short break from blogging. See you all on Monday the eleventh.

No comments: