Monday, August 09, 2010

Marriage To A Math Genius

On Saturday I did some laundry and then had this conversation with my husband.

Me:I just finished washing a bunch of socks. When I reached into the washing machine and pulled out a handful none of them matched. What are the odds of that?

My husband: Humm, that's an interesting math problem. How many socks did you pull out?

Me: Seven. Six.  I reached in and pulled out three more socks and none of those matched each other or any of the ones I had already pulled. What are the odds of that happening?

My husband: Wow, that would make the odds even higher. How many socks were there in all?

Me: Fourteen pairs, all different except for two pair that were the same type and color- blue. And another two pair that where the same type and color-black.

My husband: None of the remaining pairs matched each each other or the blue and black pairs?

Me: No.

The next morning he gave me the answer. Any guesses?

No comments: