Monday, August 30, 2010

Rescue Me

'Cause I'm lonely and I'm blue
I need you and your love too
Come on and rescue me

-Rescue Me sung by Fontella Bass



"Brittany"

My husband and I donate money to American Brittany Rescue an organization that finds homes for unclaimed, abandoned, and owner surrendered Brittanies. This weekend I did more than send in a yearly check when I volunteered to help get a Brittany from eastern Kansas to her foster home in Colorado. Sometimes finding dogs new homes means transporting them across country and ABR will set-up a route and then find people to drive segments of it. I drove to Oakley, KS, my first transfer point, to pick-up the dog and then drove her to Burlington, CO where I handed her over to her foster mom who then drove her to her temporary home in Denver. She will stay with her foster mom until a new owner can be found for her.

Although the above paragraph reads as factual and unemotional, the experience was anything but that. Saturday was a very long day and I drove 247.09 miles round trip on what turned into a very windy day. Nothing I hate more than passing a trailer rig that has slowed down minutes before because a gust of wind almost blew it out of its lane causing the trailer section to do a little serpentine dance. I'm always afraid that any rig I pass is going to the that little serpentine dance while I am right next to it. I also fell instantaneously in love with the 3 year old Brittany who spent about an hour and a half with me. She was well behaved but so stressed out by the long trip she was making and the numerous changes in cars and drivers that she would not look anyone in the eye. She would let you pet her and cuddled up to me when I sat her in the back seat of my car to give her a drink of water. I almost cried as I watched her foster mom drive away with her. My drive home was very lonely. Still, I would do it again as somethings are worth the pain they cause you.

No comments: