Saturday, August 27, 2005

Time Hiccup

During my drive to Denver Monday I had the weirdest thing happen. I was somewhere on the eastern plains of Colorado traveling at about 70 miles/hour when a large black bug hit my windshield. This thing was large enough for me to see it coming before it hit and to know it was going to make a big splash when it did strike the glass. As I watched it come toward me it curved to the right and splattered just below my line of sight and right above the steering wheel leaving a good sized green mark. I can still hear the "thunk" it made as it hit.

A few seconds after it hit I glanced down at my MP3 player. When I looked back up I saw a big black bug coming at me. As I watched it curved to the right following the same trajectory as the first bug. I thought it was going to hit at the same place and I focused my eyes on that spot. There was no longer a smear of green. As I stared at that clean spot on the windshield the second bug hit the glass leaving the same green mark as before and making the same loud "thunk" noise. Thinking I had made a mistake and was not looking at the spot where the first bug had hit, I scanned the entire windshield but the only big green mark was right when I had seen it before, just below my line of sight and right above the steering wheel.

For several minutes I struggled with what I had just seen. I had either watched two bugs strike the same spot on the windshield or I had watched one bug hit the windshield twice. I wanted it to be the first explanation but I knew it was the second. I was looking directly at the spot where the second bug had hit before it struck and the green smear of the first dead bug was not there. I had seen two bugs strike but I only had one bug smear on the glass.

When I told my niece this story she asked me if I thought I had seen into the future. I said I did think that and she asked, "Of a bug?"
I laughed because I had thought the same thing right after it happened. When I told my husband this story he asked if it was deja vu. I said no, it was like watching a TV program on TiVo and pushing the skip back button. I watched the bug hit the screen and then I watched the bug hit the screen again.

I have had strange things happen to me in my lifetime but this has got to be the strangest thing so far.

No comments: