Monday, May 10, 2004

I Met A Dog Who Wasn't There And A Dove Who Was.

As I was going up the stair
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today.
I wish, I wish he'd go away.

-Hughes Mearns

Got to write these two things down or I will never get them out of my head.

I had a strange experience early yesterday morning when I took my dogs for a run. It happened when I was heading back to my truck. While I was walking I looked around to see where my dogs were and saw Kate to the right of me out of the corner of my eye. I then looked down the road toward where my truck was parked. The road was empty- no cars, no people, no animals. Then about 40 feet in front of me a dog appeared in the middle of the road.

At first I was confused because I thought what I was seeing was Kate and could not understand how she got down there so fast. I was looking straight at the dog when it disappeared. I mean, one second it was there and the next it was gone. As my mind was trying to grasp what I had just seen Kate ran across the road about five feet in front of me. I wondered if what I had seen had been Emma and looked around for her. She was behind me, far out in a CRP field. What ever I saw, it wasn't one of my dogs.

The whole thing spooked me. One second I was looking down an empty road and the next instant there was a dog trotting down the middle of it and then, click, the dog was gone. When I replayed what I had seen in my mind I realized the dog I had seen was larger than both my dogs. It had a long tail, a coat like a collie, and it was kind of dirty white and brownish in color. My dogs are small, have very short tails, a uncollie like coat, and they are white with brown cow markings.

What had I seen, a ghost dog?

Later that morning I was sitting outside in the shade of my garage reading the Sunday Denver Post when I became conscious of the fact that a dove had just flown over my head for the third time. It came from somewhere behind me right over the garage roof and straight above my head. It landed on the top of a telephone pole in the alley.

The reason I noticed it was because each time it flew over my head it would coo very loudly. The third time I heard the bird I looked straight up and watched as it soared over the roof of the garage, dropped down a bit right above me, and then swooped up as it came in for a landing on top of the telephone pole. This happened three or four more time.

Each time I heard the loud cooing over my head I would look up and watch as the bird swooped over me and up to the top of the pole. Each time, after he landed he would turn around and look down at me. Well, after the sixth or seventh time I got up and walk around to the side of my house to see if the bird bath had water in it. It didn't. I looked up at where the dove had been sitting but he was gone. I looked up at the telephone pole that is placed right on the other side of the wall between my yard and the alley. This telephone pole is directly across from the birdbath. At the top sat the dove. I filled the birdbath and then went inside the house and brought out a slice of bread. I crumpled it up into little pieces and lay the pieces on top of the wall. The dove watched all of this very closely.

After I finished I stood in the driveway waiting for the dove to fly down to eat or drink but he didn't move. He just stared down at me from the top of the pole. I figured he wasn't going to come down until I left so I went back into the house. I was going to watch him from the kitchen window but got distracted and forgot about him. Later I noticed the bread crumbs were gone.

Was all of this a coincidence or was the dove trying to get my attention with all those flyovers?

No comments: