Monday, January 31, 2005

Photos From Amsterdam (5)



While walking down Raadhuisstratt one afternoon my sister and I came across a music store and saw this accordion just inside the door. As you can see it is a Paolo Soprani, one of the best accordion makers in the world. A gentleman can up as we were looking at it and said it was an older Paolo Soprani. I found out later that the original company was taken over by another company in the 1980's and that those accordions are not considered as good as the originals.

We quized him about accordions and he happily answered all our questions. My sister asked if he played and he went behind the counter and picked up a smaller accordion and asked us if we were English. No, American. He thought a minute and then started playing America (My Country 'Tis of Thee). Which is this song:

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen;
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the Queen.


with these lyrics:

My country,' tis of thee,
sweet land of liberty,
of thee I sing;
land where my fathers died,
land of the pilgrims' pride,
from every mountainside
let freedom ring!


A sweet memory given to us by a sweet man.

No comments: