Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Let's Play A Game

I give you the opening sentence and you give me the name of the novel.


1. If you want to find Cherry-Tree Lane all you have to do is ask the Policeman at the cross-roads.

2. In the Cordova Hotel, near the docks of Barcelona, fourteen Marine Corps fighter pilots from the aircraft carrier FORRESTAL were throwing an obstreperously spirited going away party for Lieutenant Colonel Bull Meecham, the executive officer of their carrier based squadron.

3. When he was nearly thirteen, my brother Jem got his arm badly broken at the elbow.
-To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

4. "Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents," grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
-Little Women by Louisa May Alcot

5. 3 May, Bistritz- Left Munich at 8:35 P.M., on 1st May, arriving at Vienna early next morning; should have arrived at 6:46 but train was an hour late.

6. No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality: even larks and katydids are supposed by some to dream.

7. The family Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex.

8. Barrabas came to us by sea, the child Clara wrote in her delicate calligraphy.

9. He rode into the dark of the woods and dismounted. He crawled upward on his belly over cool rocks out into the sunlight, and suddenly he was in the open and he could see for miles, and there was the whole vast army below him, filling the valley like a smoking river.

10. Renowned curator Jacques Sauniere staggered through the vaulted archway of the museum's Grand Gallery.
-The Di Vinci Code by Dan Brown

11. In a hole in the ground lived a hobbit.
-The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien

12. Some years ago there was in the city of York a society of magicians.

13. As I walked through the wilderness of this world I lighted on a certain place where was a den, and laid me down in the place to sleep; and as I slept, I dreamed a dream.

14. You better not never tell nobody but God. It'd kill your mammy.
-The Color Purple by Alice Walker

15. If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't fell like going into it, if you want to know the truth.
-The Catcher In The Rye by J. D. Salinger

No comments: