Tuesday, January 22, 2008

You Say Tomayto And I Say Tomahto

One of my most favorite actors is Anne Bancroft. What most people don't know is she had a great sense of comedy which she displayed brilliantly in her Emmy wining 1970 television special, Annie, the Women in the Life of a Man. I was lucky enough to see it when it aired and still remember bits of it to this day. Imagine my surprise when I discovered someone had put pieces of video from this show on YouTube. I searched though the listing hoping that a skit which had made me fall to the floor in laughter (at the silliness and slyness of it) had been uploaded.

Yes!



For those of you who do not recognize the lyrics from Cole Porter's Let's Call The Whole Thing Off:

You say eether and I say eyether,
You say neether and I say nyther;
Eether, eyether, neether, nyther,
Let's call the whole thing off!
You like potato and I like potahto,
You like tomato and I like tomahto;
Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto!
Let's call the whole thing off!

The other segments from this show now on YouTube include:

1. Anne Bancroft singing I Don't Want To Walk Without You, Baby. Wonderful.

2. Yma Dream, my second most favorite skit, with Lee J. Cobb.

3. A take-off on Broadway musicals with very 1960's Peter Gennaro style choreography.

4. A skit with Jack Cassidy.

1 comment:

ijm said...

I remember that show - it was wonderful. I saw it once and it has stayed with me all these years. The 'potato-potato sketch is just the funniest thing ever.