Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Can't We All Just Get Along?

Hillary Clinton's speech at the Democratic Convention last night was great. My favorite moment was when she ask her supporters whether they were going to transfer their allegiance to Barack Obama. At the beginning of her speech she talked about three people she had met during her campaign:

I will always remember the single mom who had adopted two kids with autism. She didn't have any health insurance, and she discovered she had cancer. But she greeted me with her bald head, painted with my name on it, and asked me to fight for health care for her and her children.

I will always remember the young man in a Marine Corps T-shirt who waited months for medical care. And he said to me, "Take care of my buddies. A lot of them are still over there. And then will you please take care of me?"

And I will always remember the young boy who told me his mom worked for the minimum wage, that her employer had cut her hours. He said he just didn't know what his family was going to do.


Then later she told her suporters to stop thinking about themselves and think about others:

I want you -- I want you to ask yourselves: Were you in this campaign just for me, or were you in it for that young Marine and others like him?

Were you in it for that mom struggling with cancer while raising her kids?

Were you in it for that young boy and his mom surviving on the minimum wage?

Were you in it for all the people in this country who feel invisible?


Good stuff.

No comments: