Monday, August 25, 2008

Next, 2012

I haven't be writing about the Olympics because I have been too busy watching them. I have a love-hate thing going on with the Games, what with all the jingoism, hype, and behind the scenes politics but in the end I am always happy that I watched. I guess I have to agree with Esther Myers Wenzel who, when she was 20 years old, attended the 1936 Berlin Games. After they were over she said..."the world stood poised on the verge of war, and yet for 10 glorious days in August, 1936, joy, excitement, and friendly competition made the world forget."

And for 10 days in August, 2008, it happened again. What is going on in Georgia has shadowed the Games but what was happening in Beijing made it seen less threatening. Wars come and go but the Olympic Games endure. I guess the Games represent hope and as long as the Games endure there is hope for humankind. I find that a comforting thought.

No comments: