Monday, December 07, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Last week's high and low temperatures were 55F/12.8C and -4F/-20C respectively in my little town. Right now it is 17F/-8.3C with a brisk wind blowing. Tomorrow a blizzard hits with winds up to 40mph predicted so I think I can safely say winter is officially here in my little piece of the world. I just got back from the grocery store where I bought a carton of eggnog and tomorrow I plan to hunker down with at least one glass of Bourbon spiked eggnog while watching the wind blasted snow outside my window race sideways down my street on its way to Texas.

I discovered during the last snow storm that snow can be dangerous in ways you cannot anticipate. I drove my car over to the library during the storm and when I pulled into the parking area and stepped on the break pedal the car jumped the curb. I pushed harder and the engine roared while the car inched across the sidewalk toward the building. I did not know just what was happening but I took my foot off the break and quickly shifted the transmission into neutral. The car stopped moving. I shifted into park and looked down at the break pedal while I put my foot back on top of it. That's when I learned what I had done.

I was wearing my winter boots for the first time this season and I could not feel the break pedal under my foot. I had put my boot on the brake pedal but I had not centered it and part of the boot was over the gas pedal. When I pushed the brake pedal down I also pushed the gas pedal down causing the car to move forward at the same time the brakes were trying to stop it. The harder I stepped on the brake, the stronger the car tried to move forward. Fair warning to you all.

Now, whenever it gets this cold a certain song starts playing in my head so I thought I would share it with you today. Johnny Mercer and Margaret Whiting's version of Baby It's Cold Outside:



I really can't stay
(But, baby, it's cold outside)
I got to go way
(But, baby, it's cold outside)
This evening's has been
(Been hoping that you'd drop in)
So very nice
(I'll hold your hands, they're just like ice)

My mother will start to worry
(Beautiful, what's your hurry)
And Father will be pacing the floor
(Listen to the fireplace roar)
So really I'd better scurry
(Beautiful, please don't hurry)
Well, maybe just a half a drink more

The neighbors might think
(Baby, it's bad out there)
Say, what's in this drink
(No cabs to be had out there)
I wish I knew how
(Your eyes are like starlight now)
To break the spell
(I'll take your hat, your hair looks swell)

I ought to say no, no, no, sir
(Mind if I move in closer)
At least I'm gonna say that I tried
(What's the sense of hurting my pride)
I really can't stay
(Baby don't hold out)
Ahh, but it's cold outside

I simply must go
(But, baby, it's cold outside)
The answer is no
(But, baby, it's cold outside)
This welcome has been
(How lucky that you dropped in)
So nice and warm
(Look out the window at that storm)

My sister will be suspicious
(Gosh, your lips look delicious)
My brother will be there at the door
(Waves upon a tropical shore)
My maiden aunt's mind is vicious
(Ohh, your lips are delicious)
Well maybe just a cigarette more
(Never such a blizzard before)

I've got to get home
(But, baby, you'll freeze out there)
Say, lend me a comb
(It's up to your knees out there)
You've really been grand
(I thrill when you touch my hand)
But don't you see
(How can you do this thing to me)

There's bound to be talk tomorrow
(Think of my life long sorrow)
At least there will plenty implied
(If you caught pneumonia and died)
I really can't stay
(Get over that old out)
Ahh, but it's cold outside

-Frank Loesser

No comments: