Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Wind

Lillian Gish telling the wind to get out of town in the film The Wind (1928)

I know how she feels. Yesterday we had winds gusting up to 70 MPH. I made the mistake of walking to the post office to pick up the mail and had to fight every inch of the way. The force of the wind was bad enough but the noise, I have never been in a wind storm that roared the way this one did. It was the sound of a gigantic truck engine revving over and over and over.

With apologies to Dr. Seuss.
I do not like the wind, it's true,
I do not like it, how about you?
I do not like it when it roars,
I do not like it when it snores.
I do not like it bending trees,
I do not like it bending me.
I do not like it around my house,
I fear it more I do a mouse.
The way it rattles, rocks and rolls,
I feel it right down to my toes.
I do not like the wind, you see,
I wish the wind would let me be.

No comments: