Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Groovin', On A Snowy Afternoon

The best thing about dreams is that fleeting moment, when you are between asleep and awake, when you don't know the difference between reality and fantasy, when for just a moment you feel with your entire soul that the dream is reality, and it really happened.
-Unknown

Big storm last nigh with light snow falling all day today. I decide this was a good reason to hunker down on my couch and watch movies. I started five and finished three as two of them did not hold my attention. My first two films were, Outsourced (2006), which is about an American sent to India to train his replacement when his department, his company's customer call center, is moved overseas and Bollywood/Hollywood (2002), which is supposedly a spoof on Indian movie musicals. I guess I wasn't in the mood for comedy today.

I did watch Travellers and Magicians (2003), a movie filmed and produced in Bhutan. It tells the story of a man travelling to Bhutan's capital city from his village in order to come to America. Along the way he meets a monk who tells him a folktale of another man not happy with his life who also sets out on a journey. I then watched, Don't Tempt Me (2001), which is about two angels, one from heaven and one from hell, who come to earth to try and win the soul of a soon to die boxer. I am now in the middle of The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (2009), which is about the immortal Doctor Parnassus' attempt to get out of a deal he made with the devil.

After listing them all I see I have been in an escape reality mood today; all of these movies are fantasies and/or dreams on film . That makes the quote above as true about movies as it is about dreams. With movies there is always a moment when you move from the reality of sitting on your couch or in a theater watching a story unfold to being inside the movie with the story. At that moment the story becomes reality. I love that moment, it's like entering a dream state while still awake.

2 comments:

ally bean said...

<span>"With movies there is always a moment when you move from the reality of sitting on your couch or in a theater watching a story unfold to being inside the movie with the story. At that moment the story becomes reality."</span>

I think what you said above is spot on.

However, for me it explains why I don't like movies:  I don't want the story to become a reality for me because then I'm involved, anxious, with a sense that I must do something to solve the probs in the movie.  The visuals and the feelings are too intense for me-- and I worry about the characters too much to enjoy the movie.   

Now stick a book in front of me and I'm entirely into the created reality.  

la pergrina said...

Books do that to me, too.  I guess m just a person who loves a good story whether it is on a page or on a movie screen.  A well executed story grabs me everytime.