Friday, June 17, 2011

The Aluminum Overcast In The Air

Looking from the back of the aircraft to the front. Row of seats on the right with waist gunner station behind it, ball turret and yellow container above the ball turret holding whatever fluid it is that operates the ball, platform around turret to radio room, and then the flight deck.



Looking past the yellow tank into the flight deck. That guy in the baseball cap is sitting where I was sitting on take-off.



Close-up of seats and seat-belts. The latches on the belts were different from any I've used before and it took me a few seconds to figure out how they worked.



Close-up of ball turret and walkway.




The pilots. I sat right behind the co-pilot on the right on take-off.

6 comments:

ally bean said...

Your photos are very clear and informative.  What an interesting thing to do.  I don't think that I've heard of anyone doing this. 

la pergrina said...

Thank you, ally, I was hoping they would be that.   I'd never heard about anyone doing this before either and I am lucky to have done it at all.

darcostner@yahoo.com said...

When did you fly?  It looks like war time.  I would imagine your heart was in your mouth on take-off.

la Peregrina said...

Darlene, I loved every second of it.  It was June 9th at Centennial Airport in Denver, CO; the aircraft travels around the country giving tours and rides. It was and my birthday present to myself.

Nic Hamilton said...

Wow, LaP!  Excellent present (and thanks for sharing the photos).  :)

Is it a B17?  We have one at nearby-ish Duxford but I've only ever been in it on the ground :(

la peregrina said...

Yep, B-17 and more photos to come.