Monday, January 02, 2012

The Way You Were



My mother at age 17 somewhere in New York in the mid 1940's. In the first photo she is with her fiancee (the dashing young man on her left) and another man. I am sure she only wanted to get married at such a young age to get out of the house because one of the conditions of her engagement, which she accepted, was to learn to speak Lithuanian as her soon-to-be mother-in-law did not speak English. At some point she must have gotten cold feet or realized just how life would be with her soon to be husband's mother because she asked him why she had to learn Lithuanian when his mother had been in America for over twenty years and should have learned the language by now. She then refused to take any Lithuanian lessons. That put an end to their engagement.

The second photo shows my mother's love of stylish clothes. I don't know which is more stunning the suit or the purse. I also love the hat and the glove she is wearing on her right hand. Actually, I am assuming this is a photo of my mother at age 17 and that it was taken in New York. Is she somewhere in the Upper West Side of Manhattan or could this photo have been taken in Boston? Anyone out there recognize the church in the background or the park she is standing in?

As you can see both photos are not in the best condition and I have been searching for photo editing software that would allow me to clean these photos up. Does anyone have any recommendations?

6 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Lovely!!!!   There are similar photos of my mother and her sisters taken in Milwaukee, WI which prolly explains why my mom was such a stickler on how my sister and I dressed.  People had a lot of style back then.

la peregrina said...

Yes they did. :)

Ally Bean said...

Great photos.  That suit has such nice lines.  No one wears anything at all like that anymore, do they?

la peregrina said...

I like the classic styling.  With a few minor changes could wear this on the street today.

Ally Bean said...

I think that you're right about the changes making it look current.  But I never, ever see a woman in a suit anymore.  Maybe I'm too suburban, or maybe I'm too midwestern, but suits don't seem to exist anymore around here.  They kind of have gone the way of the Christmas card-- few and far between.   ;)

la peregrina said...

I think the last time I saw a woman wearing a suit was in an episode of Two And A Half Men.  The mother wears them but they are more in the Coco Chanel /Jackie Kennedy style than this style.