Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Big Sky

You can never have too much sky. You can fall asleep and wake up drunk on sky, and sky can keep you safe when you are sad.
-The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros


Usually I would agree with this statement but not in this case. Below is the photo I took last summer of a tree limp that had fallen into in the street. Below that is a photo taken this summer of the same street. What looks like a small bush in that photo is what is left of the massive 100 year-old tree that used to stand there.






The tree was cut down last fall because the city was afraid that the loss of that large a section of the tree made the rest of the tree unstable. It is amazing how such a large tree can become invisible. I drove or walked down this street almost every day and never once really thought about that tree. The day the tree was cut down I was not in town. When I came back the next day and turned my car into the street I was almost blinded by sunlight. It was a little disorienting for me until I saw the reason why. The tree was gone. Until that moment I never realize how much that tree dominated the street. I felt sad because the tree was gone and now the sky too big.

No comments: