Thursday, June 28, 2007

Buddha Loves You

I went online last night to buy some socks and found the website of a company who has been sending me catalogs for years. They were having a sale with up to fifty percent off on the kind of socks I wear. It was such a deal I ended up with a $60.00 (44.60 EUR) order. After my final sock selection I clicked on the shopping cart icon and was directed to the Order Total page. There across the top of the page was a quote about Jesus from the Gospel of John. A flicker of disappointment arose in me. I find it very annoying when people thrust their religious beliefs into business situations. Doing this does not make me more likely to buy anything from them. Doing this does make me wonder if the company I am dealing with is some kind of cult.

I believe that religion like most things works better when done in moderation. When you make religion the center of your world you tend to get a distorted view of just how important your religious beliefs are to other people. For the record, your religious beliefs are not that important to me when I am buying socks or anything else. I will buy from a Christian (be they Catholic or Protestant), Muslim, Jew, Buddhist, Taoist, Wiccan, Druid, Hindu, Kimbanguist, Agnostic, Atheist, or anyone else who believes that you should treat others as you yourself wish to be treated but only as long as you do not require that I be an unwilling subject of your preaching in order to complete the transaction. That little bible verse made me uncomfortable enough to delete my order and go find another website.

No comments: